Do you submit paper dental claims? Prepare now for 2020! Purchase revised ADA dental claim forms and updated software.
The American Dental Association performs an annual review of the universally-accepted dental claim form to ensure consistency with the HIPAA compliant electronic dental claim (the 837D).
In 2019, the Council's review resulted in adjustments impacting 11 fields on the form. These changes will be required for claims submitted in 2020.
UPDATE YOUR BILLING SOFTWARE NOW!
Small dental practices and others submitting paper dental claims are encouraged to prepare for 2020 billing changes by obtaining the revised ADA dental claim form and ensuring their software is up to date.
REVISED CODES ARE COMING SOON
Now is also a good time to become familiar with the dental coding changes for 2020. Code changes for 2020 include 37 new codes, 5 revised codes, and 6 deleted codes. The new and revised codes reinforce the connection between oral health and overall health, help with assessing a patient's health via measurement of salivary flow, and assistance with case management of patients with special healthcare needs.
Changes to the claim Form:
- Addition of a third gender identifier ("Unknown" has been added to the "Male" and "Female" categories). Impacts fields 7, 14 & 22.
- Removal of a coding option (option B), which applies to an ICD-10-CM version that is no longer valid. Impacts field 34.
CHANGES TO INSTRUCTIONS:
- Consistent instructions for policyholder/subscriber information. Impacts fields 8 & 15.
- Addition of a note related to "Area of Oral Cavity." Impacts field 25.
- Consistent instructions for reporting procedures that involve multiple teeth. Impacts field 27.
- Addition of a note to clarify that tooth numbers are based on morphology, not anatomic location. Impacts fields 27, 33 & 35.
- Addition of clarifying note that addresses when Diagnosis Code would be reported, and refers to other online guidance. Impacts fields 34 & 34a.
AVAILABLE FROM FIACHRA FORMS
- Claim Software: ADA Fillable PDF dental claim form.
- Billing Package: Fillable PDF with 200 paper claim forms (free Priority shipping).
- Paper Claims: ADA dental claim forms (bundles of 200, 300 or 500 - free Priority shipping).